Monday, February 23, 2009

Teachers

"Then Philip ran up to the chariot and heard the man reading Isaiah the prophet. 'Do you understand what you are reading?' Philip asked. 'How can I?' he said, 'unless someone explains to me?' So he invited Philip to come up and sit with him." (Acts 8.30-31)
In this Scripture, Philip has been guided by an angel to an Ethiopian who was reading from the book of Isaiah. The Ethiopian tells Philip plainly that he needs someone to help him interpret what he is reading (which we find out is about Jesus). This passage reminds me that we all need teachers along our spiritual journey to guide us into the truth of God's Word. I remember all the teachers I've had, some I knew personally. Some others I have only read, but who have taught me nonetheless.
Here's just a few: Atlas, Ellen, Mary Neal, Leon, Mildred, Bob, Roy, Suzie, Wilson, Jean, Angie, John, Cliff, Tom, Bruce, Ralph, Geoffrey, David, Origen, Clement, Jerome, Polycarp, Teresa, Athanasius, Henri, Clive, Stanley, Will, John & Charles, Augustine, James, Dwight, Grant, Jackson, Rick, Brennan, Lee, Bill, Robert . . . (and on and on it goes).
How about you? Try making a list of all who have taught you the Christian faith (including those you have known personally and those you have read). Then give thanks to God for spiritual guides along the way. And remember, you are also passing on the faith to others too!

No comments: