Tuesday, March 16, 2010

On Trial

"I am on trial because my hope is in the Resurrection of the dead!"--Acts 23.6b
The Apostle Paul, leader in the early church had been called before the Sanhedrin. The Sanhedrin was the most powerful political institution of the Jews during the Roman occupation of Israel. They had called Paul to account because of his preaching of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Everywhere he had gone, there was a mixed response to the gospel. Some believed, were baptized, and joined the exploding number of new Christians. Others violently opposed the spread of the gospel, even attempting to murder Paul on several occasions.
Called before this powerful council, Paul made his defense. His crime? Setting his hope on the Resurrection power of Jesus! As I read this today, I wonder, could I be convicted of such a "crime?" Would those around me know by the way I live my life (not just by what I preach) that my hope is in the Resurrection power of Jesus? I always feel that the signs could be much more evident than they are. How about you? Are the "signs of the Resurrection" evident in your life? If we surrender our lives to Jesus this day, to the hourly movement of God's Holy Spirit, the signs will be there!

No comments: