Monday, March 7, 2011

The fight is done

2Timothy 4:6-8: "As for me, my life has already been poured out as an offering to God. The time of my death is near. I have fought a good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful. And now the prize awaits me -- the crown of righteousness that the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on that great day of his return. And the prize is not just for me but for all who eagerly look forward to his glorious return."
This past week, my dad finished his race. He passed from this life to the life to come. I've been thinking a lot about the race that he ran in his life, for Jesus. He was a faithful husband, father, and grandfather. He served his country in the Army. He worked hard and provided for his family. He passed on so much wisdom to me that I can not even name it all. "He fought the good fight." He ran the good race. He taught me how to follow Jesus. He taught me how to be strong, yet gentle, courageous, yet sympathetic. He also taught me to laugh and enjoy the blessings of life.
There's no way to tally up the lessons and love that my dad shared with me. I am thankful for it all. The Good News is that he lives on in my heart and mind, in the man I have become. And most importantly, he lives on in the blessings of eternal life with Jesus. There will be a great reunion one day, when I meet him there.
All this has reminded me that each of us leave a legacy in our lives. In fact, you and I are living our legacy today. We touch so many lives. So, let's also fight the good fight and run the good race by sharing the love of Christ today.

No comments: