Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Be still

"Be still and know that I am God."--Psalm 46.10a I don't know about you, but "being still" can be a challenge for me. There always seems to be so much to do, so much to accomplish, so much to mark off the "to do" list. This Scripture reminds me that I need time to simply "be still and know that God is God." This couldn't be more true for me than in the last couple of weeks. It seems the busier I am, the more I absolutely depend on prayer and devotional time to "be still." One thing about being still I have learned: it won’t happen automatically. If I’m going to “be still” before the Lord, it must be planned; it must be intentional. God really knew what He was doing when He gave us the Scriptures because they can really help us “be still.” My mind craves something to process and I have found that I need some words and phrases to help me focus on being still before the Lord. The Word of God (the Bible) becomes not only words for a mantra but it actually creates the space where I can enter in and be still before the Lord. When is the last time you took time to "be still" by reading some Scripture and praying? It doesn't have to last an hour to be incredibly useful for your spiritual health. Why not take 10 minutes today for it? You'll be glad you did! Prayer: Thank you, Lord, for the gift of “being still.” Help me to practice it more and more as the demands on my life and time grow. In Jesus’ strong name I pray, Amen.

No comments: