Thursday, August 8, 2013

Argue it out!



Argue it out!

Come now, let us argue it out, says the Lord:”—Isaiah 1.18
What a strange thing for the Lord to say to his people:  “let us argue it out.”  Sounds more like something a friend would say to another friend about politics or religion.  Sounds more like something a girlfriend would say to a boyfriend about a failure of commitment.  Sounds more like something a diplomat would say to another country’s diplomat, maybe even a president to a prime minister.  But the Lord?  One thing I’ve learned in life:  God is able to take my wrestling, my questions, my doubts, my confusion, my seeking, my journey.  God is able to handle my frustrations, sadness, disappointment, even my anger.  God can handle it. 
There probably is a line we shouldn’t cross when it comes to God.  Obviously we shouldn’t “curse God and die” as Job’s wife recommended.  But I think that line is a lot farther than we think it is.  God already knows how we feel anyway.  There’s no use trying to hide it.  In fact, as Trevor Hudson puts it, anything we hide from God just creates an obstacle, a chasm in our relationship.  Better to just admit it and get on with life.  Better to be open with God and let God heal our feelings than to try to hide them in the shadow places of our heart. 
This week I was reminded of an interesting thing from the writings of Julian of Norwich.  She writes that Christians should “enthusiastically” look for our sins because Christ WANTS to heal them, not condemn us. 
This is kind of like “arguing it out” with God, isn’t it? 
What are you holding back from God that needs healing today?  I guarantee you, God can handle it.
Prayer:  Dear Christ, who hung on the cross to redeem my darkest feelings, thoughts, and actions, redeem all of me this day!  Make me the new creation you have promised!  Amen.   

No comments: