Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Rhythm

-->
"Come away to a deserted place all by yourselves and rest a while."—Mark 6.31

Of course, after Jesus tells the disciples this, they go apart.  How long were they apart?  I don’t know.  But the people figure it out and start there on foot and eventually find them.  When they do, it says that Jesus had compassion on them because they were like sheep without a shepherd.  And he begins to teach them.

There’s a rhythm in the gospels of rest and action.  There were even times when Jesus seemed to be slow in responding to people.  (Lazarus dying, Jairus’ daughter).  But Jesus knew the right rhythm.  He knew how to play his part. 

I pray daily to live out that rhythm, the rhythm of God’s piece of jazz.  It’s a difficult tune.  Sometimes the chord progression surprises you.  But, oh, when you catch the melody, it’s heaven!  Sometimes the rhythm is slow and methodical.  Sometimes, the rhythm speeds up in the heat of an improvised section.  And sometimes, you just hold on for dear life. 

How about you?  How is your rhythm?  Are you in tune with God’s rhythm?  Are you taking time to be with Jesus?  Are you doing the work to which you are called?  Are you in sync?  Have you been away with Jesus lately?  Have you responded to those who are in need?  Are you paying attention to the beat that the Heavenly Band Leader is snapping out?

O Lord, it’s so difficult to find that balance, to make those priorities, to play that perfect rhythm.  And you know I’m going to mess up!  You know, I’ll miss a beat now and then.  You know I’ll miss an intro or chord change.  You know I’ll even play the wrong note now and then.  I plead for your grace and patience with me.  I’m still learning to play.  So, help me God.  So, help me, God.  In Jesus’ name.  Amen. 

No comments: