Friday, May 8, 2009

All things

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” (Philippians 4.13)

Early in my ministry, I took a late appointment (September) to pastor a church. I really had to hit the ground running at church and school. My wife was pregnant with our twin sons, due in early December. In October, I got a call at school one day that she had gone into pre-term labor. I rushed back to Greensboro (an hour and a half from seminary) and she was in the hospital for a week. They put her on some heavy medication to stop labor, which made her almost comatose. I'll never forget going home one night from the hospital to an empty parsonage. When I got home there were pastoral calls to return, books to be read, papers to be written, and my wife in the hospital one town away. I had never felt so alone in my life. I broke down completely and cried out to the Lord for help.
He did not abdondon me! He poured out the "balm of Gilead" on my soul and gave me strength that had to come from above. Peace, like a river, surrounded my soul. And he spoke to my heart that He would never leave nor forsake me. He would see me through. My wife held on for another month on bed rest and our sons were born healthy on the day of my Old Testament midterm (now you know why they're named Noah and Jacob!) Of course, I rescheduled the midterm and four years later, after many trying times, many mountaintops and valleys, I finished seminary.
I often look back on that time, especially when I face any kind of hardship or trial. The God that was with me then is with me now. And that God is with you too! He will never leave you nor forsake you. You can count on it!

1 comment:

Southern Momma said...

Bless you Pastor Lanny! It is such a blessing to remember those moments when God drew us near and brought us comfort. I, for one, am grateful that God got you through seminary. Much love to you and yours,
Tracie