Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Blessed to BE a blessing

"I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you." (Genesis 12.2-3)
One of the most powerful things about being a Christian is that we are not just blessed for ourselves personally. We are blessed to BE a blessing to others.
In the great covenant that God initiated with Abraham, this was the idea: "I will bless you, Abraham, to be a blessing to all peoples on earth." God's special gifts were not for Abraham alone, nor were they just for Abraham's family. And in the coming of Jesus Christ, God's own son, centuries later, we see that promise fulfilled. Jesus came to save the world.
What would it mean for your life today if you didn't hold the spiritual blessings of God for yourself (or even just your family)? How might you share them with others so that you can truly BE the blessing God planned for your world?

No comments: