Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Bad news-Good News

"But as for me, I watch in hope for the LORD, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me."--Micah 7:7
Just before this verse, Micah, a great prophet of the Old Testament, laments:
"What misery is mine! I am like one who gathers summer fruit at the gleaning of the vineyard; there is no cluster of grapes to eat, none of the early figs that I crave. The godly have been swept from the land; not one upright man remains. All people lie in wait to shed blood; each hunts their brother and sister with a net. Both hands are skilled in doing evil; the ruler demands gifts, the judge accepts bribes, the powerful dictate what they desire-- they all conspire together. The best of them is like a brier, the most upright worse than a thorn hedge. The day of your watchmen has come, the day God visits you. Now is the time of their confusion. Do not trust a neighbor; put no confidence in a friend. Even with the one who lies in your embrace be careful of your words. For a son dishonors his father, a daughter rises up against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law-- one's enemies are the members of his own household."
Wow! It sounds like Micah is describing the headline news report from this morning! But the key thing I want to focus on today is his response to all the disturbing news of his day: "But as for me, I watch in hope for the LORD, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me."
We can become so overwhelmed by bad news in these times, that we feel tempted to just give up. But remember to "watch in hope for the Lord." Remember that "God is your savior and He will hear you."
A wise preacher once said, "Don't ever read the newspaper or watch or listen to the news (which is almost always bad news) until you have read the Good News (the Bible)!" Great advice for us all. Why not try that today? Instead of spending so much time listening to the (bad) news, why not dive into the Good News of God's Word! I promise you'll feel better for it!

No comments: