Monday, March 23, 2009

Love

"Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends." (1Corinthians 13.4-8a)
These few verses always challenge me greatly. I use them periodically as a "check-up" on how I am loving my wife, sons, extended family, friends, and brothers and sisters in Christ. It is always humbling to read this beautiful portrait of love because I am always aware of how far short I fall from this perfect standard.
The Good News is God knows we need help in loving others. That's why love does not depend on our sheer effort or will. It depends on Christ dwelling in us. So one of the keys to loving others well is to love Jesus and let his love flow through us. So, don't be discouraged when your efforts at love fall short. The two words, "I'm sorry" go a long way. As we spend time with Jesus, his indwelling love will help us love others as he loves us!

No comments: