Friday, March 6, 2009

An unknown God?

"I even found an altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. So you are ignorant of the very thing you worship--and this is what I am going to proclaim to you." (Acts 17.23b)
There's a lot of people in the world who are worshiping an "unknown god." I'll never forget years ago, a friend told me there was a guy in our dorm who worshiped corn. I would have never believed it if I had not seen the "corn altar" myself! Some people worship the "elemental spirits" of the earth. Some people worship fame and power. In Hinduism, there are thousands of gods and goddesses, some who appear more like demons than gods.
The situation was not much different in Paul's day. As he walked around the ancient city of Athens, Greece, he saw many altars and shrines to many gods, even this altar mentioned to "AN UNKNOWN GOD." Paul tried to make clear to the Athenians that the God we worship is not unknown. There is only One True God: The Father/Son/Holy Spirit. Today, our world is hungrier than ever to know the One True God. The Good News is God is not inaccessible to us! God has been revealed clearly and plainly in Jesus' life, death, and resurrection. Do you want to know Him? Just ask Him to come into your life today. He will! Know someone who doesn't know our God? How about sharing His identity with them today?

No comments: