Thursday, September 10, 2009

prayers for leaders

" I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone-- for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness." (1Timothy 2.1-2)
This is certainly a tumultuous time politically in the United States. I am not sure I recall a time in my life when a congressperson yelled out, "liar," in the middle of a presidential address. Perhaps it was deserved, perhaps not. There are certainly a lot of strong feelings and opinions on both sides of the political aisle these days, not to mention those who feel that they have no one speaking for them in government. I am not writing to side with either the democrats or republicans or the independents.
I am writing because I feel Christ calling me once again to this great verse from 1Timothy. In it, the Apostle Paul (leader in the early church), is calling all followers of Jesus to pray for all leaders in all governments. It is worth noting that, at the time Paul wrote this, there were no kings who were followers of Jesus. Isn't it interesting that Paul calls for prayers for governmental leaders who are not even Christian?
So, I remind you today to pray for our elected leaders. Whether we voted for them or not, they are in positions of incredible influence from the office of president to the local school board representative. Would you join me today in praying for them (whether they be democrat, republican, or non-partisan)? Let's pray that God's will be done in and through them and in our country!

No comments: