Tuesday, September 15, 2009

streams of water

Psalm 1:3: "They are like trees planted by streams of water, which yield their fruit in its season, and their leaves do not wither. In all that they do, they prosper."
I love the image the psalm writer gives in this verse, "like trees planted by streams of water." What a powerful and peaceful image of God's provision and sustenance! And what is the psalm writer describing? "
those who do not follow the advice of the wicked, or take the path that sinners tread, or sit in the seat of scoffers but their delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law they meditate day and night" (Psalm 1.1-2). The writer is describing the life of those who choose the Lord's way instead of the way of wickedness, sin, and those who mock God. This Scripture is a promise, and assurance that if we follow God's chosen way of life for us, then we can trust that everything will work out, that God will provide for us, even that we will prosper.
As I encounter this Scripture today, I am left with this challenge and assurance: am I yielding my life to God's chosen path for me today? This means surrendering my life to God's will and way. If so, then I am promised that God will provide everything I need. And so are you!

No comments: