Thursday, December 11, 2008

All kingdoms rise and fall except . . .

I'm continuing to read the biblical book, Daniel. Today the reading covered Daniel interpreting dreams and visions of King Nebuchadnezzar, Belshazzar, and Darius. All these kings were faced with the harsh truth that their kingdoms would fall. In fact, Daniel goes so far as to say that ALL EARTHLY KINGDOMS will fall. Only one KINGDOM will last forever and that is the Kingdom of God. We do well to remember that, even in America.
I want to be sure that I'm connecting my hopes, dreams, and plans for the future to a Kingdom that will not end. As the Apostle Paul writes in ICorinthians 7.31: "For this world in its present form is passing away." One glance at history tells us that the kingdoms of this world are indeed fragile, even the most impressive ones.
Egypt is not a superpower. Assyria is no more. Babylon is no more. Alexander the Great's Empire lies in ruins. The Roman Empire is no more. But the KINGDOM OF GOD goes on forever. That's where I want my true citizenship to be! "For our citizenship is in heaven, from which also we eagerly wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ" (Philippians 3.20)

No comments: