Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Job

In Disciple Bible study, we are reading Job this week. I began to re-read this always-challenging story of a man who had it all and then lost it all. What struck me this morning as I read was the way Job reacted to unspeakable tragedy in his life. (In one day, he lost: 500 yoke of oxen, 500 donkeys, countless servants, 7000 sheep, 3,000 camels, seven sons, three daughters, and his health! And we think we have bad days, sometimes!)
Job then said these now famous words Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked shall I return there; the LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.” (Job 1.21)
Now, I think this is much more than Job just "keeping a stiff upper lip." It reflects an understanding that ultimately, our lives are in God's hands. It also reflects an understanding that we are to hold on loosely to the things of this world.
If you're a Star Wars fan like I am, you may recognize these wise words of the Jedi Master, Yoda, "Attachment leads to jealously. The shadow of greed, that is." The truth that Yoda is echoing is found most completely in the Bible as it teaches us to "seek first God's Kingdom" and not to set our hearts on the passing things of this world.

No comments: