Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Are you ready?

I've been working from one list to another the last few days, making last minute preparations: writing my Christmas Eve message for our Church service, doing hospital visits, church office work, making plans for church in 2009, attending all the Christmas parties and programs, trying to squeeze in time for those last few Christmas presents. This time of year is always a flurry of activities and "to do" lists. But one thing I've been trying to hold onto: my time with God each morning, nothing elaborate, just a half an hour or so to read Scripture, pray, and let God's Grace shower over me. If it wasn't for that time, that "God and me" time, I might be overwhelmed with all the preparations for Christmas. In fact, I might just forget what this season is really about altogether.
How about you? I know you're probably running around like me, attending to all those last minute Christmas details. Or maybe you are wishing you had some details to take your mind off the trials in your life. Have you taken a few minutes today to be with God? To let His healing, forgiving, graceful, righteous, peaceful, and always loving Spirit wash over you?
It doesn't take much: five or ten minutes (how ever long you can make), a Bible, the Lord's Prayer, whatever you have. It doesn't have to be in the morning. It can be at night, at lunch, at your break time. Whatever you have, if you offer it to God, you'll be surprised how ready God is to bless you this Christmas Season.
Don't worry too much if you missed a Christmas card, if the turkey is dry, or if that last present doesn't quite work out, JESUS COMES TO YOU AND ME NO MATTER WHAT AND SAYS: "I LOVE YOU TODAY, JUST LIKE I DID ON THAT CROSS ALMOST 2,000 YEARS AGO! MERRY CHRISTMAS!"

No comments: